Monday, May 16, 2011

The First Broken Bones

On Friday night, Luke attempted a "new cool twisty jump" off the recliner right before bedtime that did not end well. I was pretty sure he broke something after it happened, because I have broken at least 7 of my own bones all on separate occasions, including a minor break in my foot. We took him to see the doctor and get x-rayed today and it is official. He caused buckle fractures to his 4th and 5th metatarsals. Which means that he broke two little tiny bones on the outside of his right foot. Poor kid! They aren't bad breaks, and he doesn't have to get a cast or special boot or anythings like that. He does have to miss his first 3 weeks of T-ball though. :( The first night was really rough, but he's been handling it extremely well. He doesn't even complain, and I am just so proud of him for being so strong and brave! Since I'll be having 3 little boys pretty soon, I'm not expceting this to just be the first of hopefully not too many broken bones.  When Luke was 21 months he fell and and wouldn't walk for 2 weeks. We had it x-rayed then, but that was just a deep tissue bruise. The treatment plan for this includes just taking it easy, wrapping it, ibuprofen, and ice. He gets around pretty well with a limp. The pictures don't really do the swelling that much justice, but you get the idea.



 Luke has been handling the whole "taking it easy" part really well. Finally an excuse just to sit and play dad's ipod all morning!

He has seemed more sleepy these last few days.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Poor little toes and poor little kid! He sounds like a trooper though. And you're right, this is probably just the first of many!

chad and lemae said...

Oh poor luke! hope he heals fast!

Joy said...

Poor little guy, I'm sure it wont hold him back for long! We'll miss him at T-ball. I need you to help me make my blog pretty like yours!