Sunday, August 24, 2008

Camping Fun

This past weekend Luke, Ty and I went up to Mt. Graham and stayed at Ty's grandma's cabin. It was so nice! I can't even describe it. We pulled up and it just felt good. It did take a lot of work to get everything ready to go for our 24 hour trip, but it was worth it. Ty grilled. We read. Luke explored. Saturday morning we went on this really nice hike near the top of Mt. Graham by Treasure Park to see a waterfall that Ty remembered hiking to as a Boy Scout. We stopped and let Luke play in the water and he loved it, once he got used to it.
On my own little tangent, can I just say that this summer is way better than last summer. Luke was just a newborn, and I had such a hard time adjusting to being a new mom. To go from being a student and then working full-time with people I loved to being at home full time with a new, very demanding baby was really difficult for me. It was opressively hot outside all the time in Scottsdale, and I just felt trapped in our dim apartment. I didn't know any other young moms that lived nearby. Is it just me, or does no one ever tell people how hard and 24/7 demanding it is being a mom? The hardest part was realizing that a lot of my hopes and dreams would have to be put on hold for a whild and maybe forever in order to be the best mother to my son. Have any of you ever felt the same way? Not to say that last summer was all bad and hard, because it did have it's high points and I was blessed with a healthy baby that was happy most of the time. Also,I love my son more than anything, it's just that this summer has been better. I'm loving living in Thatcher. I'm making friends with other moms in our ward. I enjoy living close to Ty's family and being able to visit with them a lot more. I LOVE having a house of our own and a yard. Luke is not nearly as dependant as last year, and I've been able to do more things for myself. For example, taking a tennis class with Chantel really cool because I learned something new. I've loved taking Luke swimming, outside to play, and on little vacations. I also understand now that being a mother is the most important thing that I could every do in this life. I love my job, and I have fully embraced it now. This perspective has helped me a lot too. The best news is that the summer still isn't quite over yet!








11 comments:

Jeff and Rachell Massey said...

Rachel this is Rachell Massey so funny I was just talking with Tiffany Downey about you and I look on Jenessa blog and here you are! I hope that you don't mind that I posted on you blog but I would love to keep in touch! Your little boy is so cute. Where are you guys now?

Anonymous said...

Very well put!! I too felt trapped last summer and scared! It was a new experience for me and I was learning so much! I have felt like I had to put things on the back burner, but like you have embraced my new job. I couldn't ask for anything better! I love being a mother!
Yep thats my cousin! So I guess we are related, again!!

Fullerton Family said...

Hey Rachel! It's Kimberly (Webb) Fullerton. Yeah, I hear you on the newborn/ new mom phase. It is SO hard! And scary, and overwhelming! But isn't it so nice when it's all over you have that fun little friend?!

Darbi & Chris said...

Cute Cute Cute little boy! Love campin'. Have a great day!

chad and lemae said...

those pics of luke by the creek are really good shots!

Heidi Joncas said...

Hi Rachel!
What a cute little family you have. I agree with you and your perspective on motherhood. It was very hard for the first few months, but as they grow, the job becomes more and more enjoyable and fun.

Savannah Williamson Photography said...

Hey Rach...Thanks again for visiting with me at the park. I love having you for a friend. I am glad we are going to share grandkids later in life!!! Oh by the way the plane ride was okay until the last HOUR uggg i will have to tell you about it. sorry i forgot to call you i promise i will call you this weekend... it was probably better because you were camping.

Bethany said...

Holy cow, Ty has a kid! I just found your guys' cute blog, though Lisl's. I lived across the street, for two years, from Ty while at EAC. I heard you two got married, and looks like ya have a cute kid, too! You'll have to say "hi" to Ty for me (and hello to you, too, if you remember me:) I was in band, and I think you were in orchestra?? I went on the music tours (you were a year behind me, I believe. I remember talking to Ty about you and how in love with you he was:) Feel free to check out my blog. I've a little one, too...

How old is yours?

Savannah Williamson Photography said...

hey girly i tagged you!

Britney and Kevin said...

Hey Rachel, I saw your blog on Rachell's! I'm so glad that I found you guys! Your boy is so handsome! Where are you guys now?

Natalie said...

I love Mt Graham. I keep telling Nat that we need to move back to Thatcher so that we can have that view again. I have so many good memories of camping all around that area. There's just so much to do....
Jon