Monday, November 9, 2009

My Passion

For this past month or so photography has been pretty much the only thing on my mind. It's usually the last thing I think about before I go to bed, and the first thing I think about when I wake-up. I've been learning a lot, and trying to hone my skills. I have also become really critical of my own work, which is good. I need to know what I'm doing wrong in order to get it right the next time. If it's possible, my poor kids have probably been over photographed lately! Sometimes I fantasize that I could start a business doing this, but realistically, I know that I need more experience and a decent portfolio first.

I talked my sister-in-law Sara into watching my kids for 30 min. so I could go out and do a little photo shoot with her little 3 month old cutie, Darrek. I do have to say that I am one lucky aunt to have such a sweet and adorable little nephew!

Saturday was a day of firsts. It was the first time I had ever done a family photo shoot ( unless you count those two times I used the self-timer on my own family!). This was my friend and neighbor Cassandra with her cute little family. (Kids ages 4 1/2 and 1 1/2.) Also, it was the first time anyone had ever asked me to take pictures for them! I had fun, learned a lot, and what's best, I think I got a few really decent shots, in my own opinion.

I know they're not perfect, but I'm curious to know what other people think. I'd really love it if you'd tell me which ones you like the best or don't like at all and why. Thanks!
Warning lots of photographs to follow!
#1

#2 (same as #1, but different edit)

#3
#3a.

#4 (He is such a pleasant little boy. This is really the only face he made the whole time!)

#5
#5a

#6

#7

#8

#9

#10

6 comments:

Jessie said...

Wahoo! Super good pics! It looks like I'll be coming out to Salt Lake after Christmas for Grandma and Grandpa's 50th anniversary celebration! I'm sooo excited! If you're there, be prepared to teach me a thing or two!

Picture #1 is stunning. Perfect set-up. I like the colors (vivid and bright) in it, but the sun is almost distracting, which makes #2 great.

Hmmm... I'll be back

Jessie said...

#3 would be a whole lot better from a different angle--close up, closer to the ground... Who knows?

#4 would be perfect if both his eyes were open! But the set up is great: blurred background, baby in the corner...

I like family pics #7 and #9 the best because of the empty space, I think.

And #10 looks pro. How'd you get that shot without chin rolls 'n such? Amazing.

I really shouldn't be critiquing your work. I don't know anything. You really are talented, Rach. And you've improved soooo much in so little time! I can't wait to see your stuff in a month!

amy and luke said...

I really like the pictures so when do you want to practice on us? I would love for you to take our pictures for our Christmas Cards. What do you think?

Savannah Williamson Photography said...

rrr i just left a comment and I think i forgot to post it. I said something like this

YOU ARE AWESOME I like the second edit of that first one. I agree with Jessie about #3 i think you could get closer maybe, keep the focus on the beautiful baby. Your family shots are so cute especially the last one of the little girl, her eyes look amazing. keep it coming I love to see your pictures

Matt and Megan said...

I am so mad that we could not make it down for Halloween!! I really wanted you to take our pics!! I loved them all my favs are 1, 2, 3a, and all the fam pics are good!! A cute idea is to take them on the railroad tracks!! I love pics on the railroad tracks! And Matt wants to come down some time this month! I will let you know so we can plan a picture session and you can get some belly pics too!!

Lacey said...

Great jon Rach! Love your catchlights in the first photograph!!! Your doing great!!! The best thing is the practice doesn't cost you anything!! Thank heavens for digital photography!! Could you imagine how expensive our practice would be if you had film?